Code of Ethics for the Conduct of the Troop in the Soviet Union
1. Bolshevism is the mortal enemy of the national socialist German people. This destructive philosophy and its partisans are the object of Germany’s war.
2. This fight demands ruthless and forceful measures against Bolshevistic heretics, guerilla fighters, saboteurs, Jews and the complete elimination of any active or passive resistance.
3. Regarding the members of the Red Army – even the prisoners – the utmost restraint and closest attention is advisable because there is a good chance that they will use insidious methods of fighting. The Asian soldiers of the Red Army especially are impenetrable, unpredictable, devious and unfeeling.
4. Upon capturing troops, the leaders are to be separated immediately from the rest of the men.
5. The German soldier should not see the Union of Socialistic Soviet Republics as a united population. The USSR is a collection of states with a majority of Slavic, Caucasian, and Asian people united und held together by the control of the Bolshevistic government. Judaism is strongly promoted in the USSR.
6. Large portions of the population, especially the rural inhabitants who have been impoverished by Bolshevistic system, are morally opposed to bolshevism. In the non-Bolshevistic person the national identity is tied to piety. Happiness in being released from bolshevism will often find expression in religious form. Services of thanksgiving and processions are unavoidable and not to be disturbed.
7. Caution is advised in conversations with the inhabitants and in the conduct towards women. German is understood without being spoken. The enemy intelligence service will currently be active especially in the occupied region, in order to receive important news concerning important military facilities and policies. Every negligent act, pompousness and indiscretion can have serious consequences.
8. Economic assets of all types and military loot, especially groceries and fodder, fuel and clothing items are to be saved and confiscated. Squandering and wastefulness hurts the troops. Plundering will be dealt with to the harshest degree according to the military regulations.
9. Caution is to be exercised with the consumption of confiscated groceries! Water can only be consumed after boiling (typhoid, cholera). Any contact with the inhabitants can endanger health. Protecting one’s own health is the duty of the soldier.
10. Reichs credit currency notes and coins as well as German currency tokens in the amount of 1 and 2 Pfennig as well as 1, 2, 5 and 10 Reichspfennigs oder Rentenpfennig must be used. Other German money cannot be spent.